Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cold Start Problem  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Red Baron

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
  • Color: Sport Red
  • Year: 2003
Cold Start Problem
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:19:38 pm »
Hi
I am having a problem after starting my Avalanche in the morning when it's been about 10 degrees or lower at night.
The motor starts right up, but then the motor will go to 3 to 4 thousand rpms, then it starts to sputter like the motor is going to die, and it drops down under 1 thousand rpms. then it shoots back up to 3 to 4 thousand rpms and then it sputters.  This goes on for about 5 minutes, and then it stops.  If I try to drive away before it gets back to normal, the rpms stays at 2 thousand and the Avalanche drives funny for the first three to five miles.  No check engine light comes on, I am using the recommended oil weight, and the battery is good.  Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?  Maybe a bad sensor, fuel filter, or cracked manifold gaskets?

Online oHIobellboy

• Administrator
  • The Eagle has landed
  • Chapter: Midwest
  • Color: Dark Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2004
Re: Cold Start Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »
looking at your profile on the side there it says you have an '03. How many miles? Have you ever done a tune up or cleaned the MAF sensor? That's a pretty quick and cheap attack on the problem if that's what's wrong. Another guess is maybe an 02 sensor. We've got some pretty good engine guys here that will have better advice then me though.

Offline Red Baron

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »
My Avalanch has 84,000 miles, and I purchased it this last July.  Don't know about the last time it had a tuneup.  I have never cleaned the MAF Sensor, but I will give it a try tomorrow.

Online oHIobellboy

• Administrator
  • The Eagle has landed
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »
My Avalanch has 84,000 miles, and I purchased it this last July.  Don't know about the last time it had a tuneup.  I have never cleaned the MAF Sensor, but I will give it a try tomorrow.
Here's a little write up on how I did mine.
http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=100

Offline bluedevil

• Charter Member
  • Yeah! Is Not a Hemi!
    • bluedevilcustoms.com
  • Color: Arrival Blue
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »
Not all second hand dealers tune up their vehicles before sale.  If it drives then, it sells.

A good start, ..... a new set of wires and plugs.

StreetScene Bumper Cover, Painted Powerbar, 5 Piece StreetScene Grille Inserts, Blue Bowtie, GoodMark Hood, 3rd Brake light Decal, Camaro Rally Stripes, SS Logos, 13" X Antenna, Sunroof Visor, Bosch wipers, Sail Panels LED's, Flamed Mirror Covers, MagLite, SS Calliper decals, Neon Underbody Kit, Sail Panel Windows, SportWing, 8000K HID's, Satinless Steel Fire Extinguisher, Fire & Ice light bar, Painted Headlight covers, Rollpan, Fiberglass wiper cowl, Painted cargo cladding, Diamond plated cargo cover inserts, GunMetal Oil Cap, Yukon XL Denali Running Boards, Hockey Stick Decals "5.3 Blown", Flamed Gas & Brake Pedal Inserts, Flamed white/blue Gauges, Brushed Aluminum Lighter, Blue LED bars, Triple gauge A Pillar, AutoMeter WideBand AFR, AutoMeter Fuel Press 100psi, AutoMeter 30psi Vac/Boost, SS Headrest, JBA Ignition Wires 8mm, K&N Blue Intake Cover, K&N Oil Filter, Gibson Stainless Headers, Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, Flowmaster 40 Dual Split w/chrome tips, TrailBlazer SS Torque Converter 2500-3200 rpm stall, Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, Vortech SuperCharger, Panther Wheels 285/50/20, GoodYear Eagle II, 2/3 Drop Kit, Red Callipers, Trans-Go Shift-Kit, Corvette Servos

Online MyBigToy

• Administrator
  • WHEE!!!!!!
  • Color: Light Pewter Metallic
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »
It sounds like you are into the idle saver feature, it's overcompensating and then chasing itself, and it can't correct itself.

Has the battery been disconnected or run down to nothing recently? If so, you probably need to do an "idle learn" procedure. Even if the battery has not been run down you might try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes, hooking it back up, and then doing an idle learn. You can do a Google search or look around here; I know I've posted the idle learn process on the site somewhere.
2002 LPM Z71, factory 4.10s - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler,  Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color painted taillight covers. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

New: Custom rear metal bumper like the bumper cover!

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg

Offline Red Baron

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
The battery hasn't been disconnected or run down since I bought the Avalanche.  The dealer could have put a new battery in, before I bought it.  I googled the idle learn procedure, and found a good site with directions that I will try tomorrow.  I will post if that does the trick.
If not I will change the wires and plugs, but I think that the cold wouldn't effect them, but you never know.
Thanks

Offline bluedevil

• Charter Member
  • Yeah! Is Not a Hemi!
    • bluedevilcustoms.com
  • Color: Arrival Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:21:40 pm »
It may not be the wires since you said it runs fine after a few miles.

StreetScene Bumper Cover, Painted Powerbar, 5 Piece StreetScene Grille Inserts, Blue Bowtie, GoodMark Hood, 3rd Brake light Decal, Camaro Rally Stripes, SS Logos, 13" X Antenna, Sunroof Visor, Bosch wipers, Sail Panels LED's, Flamed Mirror Covers, MagLite, SS Calliper decals, Neon Underbody Kit, Sail Panel Windows, SportWing, 8000K HID's, Satinless Steel Fire Extinguisher, Fire & Ice light bar, Painted Headlight covers, Rollpan, Fiberglass wiper cowl, Painted cargo cladding, Diamond plated cargo cover inserts, GunMetal Oil Cap, Yukon XL Denali Running Boards, Hockey Stick Decals "5.3 Blown", Flamed Gas & Brake Pedal Inserts, Flamed white/blue Gauges, Brushed Aluminum Lighter, Blue LED bars, Triple gauge A Pillar, AutoMeter WideBand AFR, AutoMeter Fuel Press 100psi, AutoMeter 30psi Vac/Boost, SS Headrest, JBA Ignition Wires 8mm, K&N Blue Intake Cover, K&N Oil Filter, Gibson Stainless Headers, Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, Flowmaster 40 Dual Split w/chrome tips, TrailBlazer SS Torque Converter 2500-3200 rpm stall, Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, Vortech SuperCharger, Panther Wheels 285/50/20, GoodYear Eagle II, 2/3 Drop Kit, Red Callipers, Trans-Go Shift-Kit, Corvette Servos

Online oHIobellboy

• Administrator
  • The Eagle has landed
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »
It may not be the wires since you said it runs fine after a few miles.
I had an '81 Chevette years ago that didn't like to start in the really cold weather until I changed the distributor cap on it. I just remembered that.

Offline HenryJ

• S-10CREWCAB.NET
    • S-10CREWCAB.net
  • Color: Gold Mist Metallic
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »
The motor starts right up, but then the motor will go to 3 to 4 thousand rpms, then it starts to sputter like the motor is going to die, and it drops down under 1 thousand rpms. then it shoots back up to 3 to 4 thousand rpms and then it sputters.  This goes on for about 5 minutes, and then it stops.  ... Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? ... or cracked manifold gaskets?
Bingo! Manifold gaskets. The stock plastic gaskets seal poorly. On a cold engine they can leak. Once warmed up they seal and the problem is masked.
You can confirm this by spraying injector cleaner around the base of the intake manifold on the cold engine. You will hear the rpm change and the engine stumble. Once the intake is removed you can see the poor seal the stock plastic bound gaskets offer.

Replace them with the steel gaskets. I use the FelPro w/ PermaDryPlus set.

BTW, I tried to blame the EGR valve, IAC valve, Carbon deposits in the TB, etc.

Cut to the chase and fix the intake gaskets. Not too bad a job. Half a day at a leisurely pace.
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
-

chevrolet

SMF 2.0.7 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines | DS
© 2014 ChevyAvalancheClub.com
Chevrolet | General Motors | OnStar | Certified Service
Chevrolet Trademark(s) used with the written permission of General Motors.